- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 225 g celery root
- 1 red bell pepper
- 450 g ground lamb or ground beef
- 120 g butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tbsp crushed caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 600 – 700 ml water
- 1½ tsp red wine vinegar
- 240 ml sour cream or mayonnaise
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Peel and chop the vegetables finely.
- Sauté the onion and garlic, with a generous amount of oil or butter, in heavy pan over medium heat until softened.
- Add the ground meat and sauté, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and browned.
- Add the bell pepper, celery root, paprika, cayenne, oregano, caraway, salt and pepper. Stir for about 1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes and 2 cups of water.
- Increase the heat and bring the soup to a light boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining water and vinegar before serving.
- Serve with finely chopped parsley and dollop of sour cream or mayonnaise.