Ingredients (serves 6)
- olive oil, divided
- 1.1 kg cut into 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 900 g ground turkey
- 475 ml
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- fresh basil, chopped
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 475°F (240°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay eggplant slices on the baking tray, brush both sides with olive oil and generously season with salt. Roast for about 15 minutes, flip and roast for another 10 minutes until browned. Remove and set aside. Reduce oven temp to 400°F (200°C).
- While you roast the eggplant, heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan and add the ground turkey — season with salt and pepper. Break the meat apart with a spatula while frying. When browned, add the tomato sauce and garlic. Let simmer until you are ready to assemble.
- Tear the mozzarella into pieces, drain it in a colander, or place on a paper towel.
- To assemble one portion, lay a slice of eggplant on the baking tray, top with a spoonful of the sauce, a few basil leaves, and a layer of mozzarella and parmesan. Repeat twice more, finishing with a layer of cheese. Repeat according to the number of portions and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve using a spatula. Top with some fresh basil and some freshly grated parmesan.
Cooking a larger batch?
If you want to cook six portions and have a fancy presentation, you can assemble this recipe in a springform cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes and let it rest for 15 minutes before removing it from the springform and serving.
Nutrition is a very important piece of living a healthy lifestyle but so is training and keeping your body healthy. Unsure of what training you should be doing? How about trying one of our instructor-led classes which will give you the exact coaching you need to get results in a fun group environment. Check out the timetable here