Ingredients (serves 6)
- 900 g chicken breasts
- cream cheese
- ranch seasoning
- 140 g bacon, diced
- cheddar cheese
- fresh chives, chopped
- ground black pepper
- baby spinach
- Mix the ranch seasoning, salt (if the ranch seasoning doesn’t already contain salt), and cream cheese in a bowl. Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Spread out the cream cheese mix on top of the chicken.
- Cover with lid and set on low for 5 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
- Fry the bacon on medium-high heat in a frying pan until crispy. Set aside.
- Shred the chicken using two forks. Mix everything together. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon and cover with the lid until the cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with chives and ground black pepper. Serve together with baby spinach.
What to serve with crack chicken
Great low-carb ways to serve the crack chicken is on to of keto bread as a warm open faced sandwich, in a keto tortilla as a wrap, on top of a salad, on top of keto zoodles, or wrapped in a cabbage or salad leaf.
This dish keeps fresh in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week. It also freezes well for up to three months. Since it contains many dairy products, it’s always a good idea to thaw it on low heat to keep it from separating.
Store-bought ranch seasoning usually contains a lot of additives and hidden sugar so we recommend making your own, trust us, it’s worth it.
Cooking crack chicken in the oven
This is the perfect hack if you don’t want to wait for hours before dinner is on the table or if you don’t have a slow cooker at home but still want to make this dish.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Shred the meat from a rotisserie chicken and remove the skin. OR boil the chicken fillets in chicken broth for 20 minutes under the lid and shred them using two forks when done.
3. Mix the meat together with the ranch seasoning, salt, cream cheese, and half of the cheese. Put it in a baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cooked bacon.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
5. Garnish with chives and ground black pepper.
Cooking crack chicken in the Instant Pot
Love your Instant Pot? We’ve got you covered.
1. Mix the cream cheese mixture as stated in step 1.
2. Place chicken breasts at the bottom of your instant pot. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top.
3. Close the lid and the vent and cook on high for 15 minutes. Let steam naturally release for 10 min. Open the lid and stir. Let the sauce thicken for a few minutes.
4. Garnish with chives and ground black pepper.
Recommended special equipment